Is it possible to do optical simulations with RestG4?

Hi everyone!

I wanted to know if there is any possibility of performing optical simulations with RestG4.
Because we are working with a liquid scintillator detector, so we would like to simulate the propagation of the optical photons in the medium.
I’ve not found anything, but maybe I didn’t dig at the right place.

Thanks,
Cloe

Helo @girardcarillo ,

Currently it’s not possible to use restG4 to produce simulations of optical photon. Simulating optical photons would require some significant additions: support surfaces (instead of just volumes), optical properties and typically restG4 works with energy deposits, optical simulations work with number of photons instead. It is something which is possible to do but it hasn’t been done (you’re welcome to open a feature PR!).

I have some experience doing these types of simulations outside of restG4 (plain Geant4) but I didn’t do much that is not already covered in the Geant4 optical examples, sorry I cannot be of much help.

On a side note, I would encourage you to post further questions / issues to Issues · rest-for-physics/restG4 · GitHub (or whichever repository is relevant to the question) instead of the forum. Typically they have more visibility and it’s integrated into the GitHub platform so it’s easier to link to relevant issues, link code, etc.

Regards,
Luis

1 Like

Hi Luis!

Thank you very much for your answer.

Yes in fact, that would mean a huge work to implement that.
It’s not impossible, and I would love to have the time to do that, but unfortunately, I don’t :frowning:

Also, I posted an issue on the Github as you suggested:

Thanks,
Cloe